Here is what was thought could well appear in the:
Economics Tripos 2008: Economic principles and problems.
1. Should pensions be regarded as a civil right (perhaps subject to employment record) or be determined by the return on a pensioner's past contributions to the pension system?
2. 'Globalisation destroys the very possibility of a domestic economic policy.' Discuss.
3. 'All that counts is the level and growth of national income; distribution can take care of itself '.
What is your response to this statement?
4. 'The market for financial derivatives has no beneficial role in the allocation of resources; it is a pre-announced catastrophe.' Discuss.
5. Consider the case for the repatriation of immigrants with reference to:
i Scottish politicians
ii Polish plumbers
iii those fleeing from hunger and torture.
6. Discuss the proposition that public private partnerships combine the worst possible features of both public and private enterprise and ownership.
7. 'The principle of central bank independence has neither theoretical nor empirical support.' Discuss
8. 'Corporate ethics is an oxymoron, as is market socialism.' Discuss.
9. 'Immigrants' benefits should be regulated by the principle of reciprocity. Migrants should enjoy benefits no higher than those enjoyed by receiving -state nationals migrating to their country of origin.' Discuss with reference to immigration into the United Kingdom from one developed and one emerging economy.
10. You have been appointed Chief Economic Advisor to the Hungarian government. What year, if ever, would you recommend the country should join the Euro, and why?
11. Why was the transition from central planning to the market economy marred - in central eastern Europe - by devastating recession, while China and Vietnam thrived throughout the same process?
12. The welfare state was killed by moral hazard. Illustrate this proposition either - by use of a mathematical model, or - with reference to a west European economy.
The Modern Regime
49 minutes ago