Monday 6 October 2008

Quiz. Where Do You Stand On the Political Spectrum?

Should we:

1) nationalise the banks and establish democratic control over banking decisions, ensuring democratic representation on boards, ending the bonus binges, controlling executive pay and share holder rewards?

[As we are nationalising the banks with bailouts and recapitalisation, never mind the Northern Rock undertakings, of course there should be democratic control over decisions etc.
Ending bonus binges and the control of executive pay - paid out of my taxes in future - is particularly attractive.]

Yes.

2) Cut interest rates significantly and immediately, restore democratic control over key economic decision-making by widening the remit of the Bank of England beyond ensuring price stability to advising on the wider economic health of the country, and return the bank to being one voice amongst others?

[Well, yes, reduce the burden of debt, raise aggregate demand for investment and consumption, support the value of assets, raise competitiveness by holding down the exchange rate - know what I mean?]

Yes.

3) Secure people a home by converting repossessions to social rentals so that people have a 'right to stay' in their homes and embarking on a massive council house-building programme?

[Who would want to repossess an ex-council maisonette in Easington? It's a disgrace that a subprime loan for more than the value of these properties was created and hung round the necks of the once- and soon-to-be-again tenants in the first place. Now they are in debt for the next 20 years for what they should never have stopped renting.]

Yes.

4) Enhance security in employment by ensuring people have a say over the future of the companies by strengthening rights and representation at work?

[Mitbestimmung. What the Germans have. And very successful they are too.]

Yes.

5) Bring fuel bills under control with price controls on the consumer price of gas and electricity, so that people are not being forced to choose between heating and eating this winter, with the threat of nationalisation if needed?

[Like France has. And they seem to own the English power industry, so why shouldn't we have the same as their French customers?]

Yes.

At the end of this quiz Angels are once again found to be left of centre. Pity about the Labour Party.

6 comments:

Elby the Beserk said...

On the matter of repossessions -

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3flm3p

Elby the Beserk said...

Prompted by a post on Guido. Mandelson brought in over Brown's head. Brown told - you go, or accept this. "NEC" a ruse to cover this, but Mandelson is at least running this, and possibly the whole show.

Blair's revenge. Shakespeare and the Greeks would be hard put to match this one. They're all barking. And mad. And as such, should be put done. Where's Her Maj's loyal armed forces when most you need them? Enmired in unwinnable wars in far away countries.

Ever get the feeling you've been set up? The putsch of '97.

Time to call on Mr. David Byrne and his Talking Heads beat combo.

Heard of a van that is loaded with weapons,
Packed up and ready to go
Heard of some gravesites, out by the highway,
A place where nobody knows
The sound of gunfire, off in the distance,
I’m getting used to it now
Lived in a brownstore, lived in the ghetto,
I’ve lived all over this town

This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco,
This ain’t no fooling around
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey,
I ain’t got time for that now

Transmit the message, to the receiver,
Hope for an answer some day
I got three passports, a couple of visas,
You don’t even know my real name
High on a hillside, the trucks are loading,
Everything’s ready to roll
I sleep in the daytime, I work in the nightime,
I might not ever get home

This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco,
This ain’t no fooling around
This ain’t no mudd club, or c. b. g. b.,
I ain’t got time for that now

Heard about houston? heard about detroit?
Heard about pittsburgh, p. a.?
You oughta know not to stand by the window
Somebody might see you up there
I got some groceries, some peant butter,
To last a couple of days
But I ain’t got no speakers, ain’t got no
Heaphones, ain’t got no records to play

Why stay in college? why go to night school?
Gonna be different this time
Can’t write a letter, can’t send a postcard,
I can’t write nothing at all
This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco,
This ain’t no fooling around
I’d like to kiss you, I’d love you hold you
I ain’t got no time for that now

Trouble in transit, got through the roadblock,
We blended with the crowd
We got computer, we’re tapping pohne lines,
I know that ain’t allowed
We dress like students, we dress like housewives,
Or in a suit and a tie
I changed my hairstyle, so many times now,
I don’t know what I look like!
You make me shiver, I feel so tender,
We make a pretty good team
Don’t get exhausted, I’ll do some driving,
You ought to get some sleep
Get you instructions, follow directions,
Then you should change your address
Maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day,
Whatever you think is best
Burned all my notebooks, what good are
Notebooks? they won’t help me survive
My chest is aching, burns like a furnace,
The burning keeps me alive
Try to stay healthy, physical fitness,
Don’t want to catch no disease
Try to be careful, don’t take no chances,
You better watch what you say

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Elby eventually pointed me to this...

"The average might well be £23K, but the I would guess the median wage is well below - possibly £12-15K ?".

Absolutely right; the 'average' is far too easy for thick, failing politicians to say in their pathetic diatribes.

Statistics actually teach what a 'median' really is!

hatfield girl said...

And they doubled the 10p tax rate Scrobs. Elby said also how resourceful people can manage on very little, which is so, of course, but why ever should they in a sea of plenty? That is not a social envy declaration but an acknowledgment that the client state has been created and nurtured with built in and reinforcing inequalities as part of its stability and to ensure its permanence. To have constructed a state-dependent society was bad enough, but to have made such a structurally unequal society is unforgivable.

Anonymous said...

Price controls?

PRICE CONTROLS?

On commodities that are traded worldwide?

Because that'll work, oh yeah.

Angels have gone down heavily in my estimation. Do you by any chance work in the public sector?

hatfield girl said...

No, 12.49, I am working in the garden right now, and very lucky (or with foresight) to have one to work in, I do not work in the public sector. More ore less I sort people's English out and thus, their ideas, more often than not.

Should the regime give up punitive taxation coupled with wage subsidy to obtain social control, then price controls on life and death commodities like energy will not be needed. Once the regime interferes in the market then there is a need to order its interventions and seek the least harmful to choice and its exercise. (Yaah. If I had time I'd write that less poncily).