Thursday 23 September 2010

Winter Coats

The outburst of fashionability for Bavarian traditional dress encourages me to recommend:

http://www.lodenfrey.com/Trachten/Damen/Maentel-Capes/Mantel-lf-1.html

When I last went to Munich -  (that was the occasion of the eery walk in the Englischer Garten  round about  midnight with a chap from Transylvania wheeling a large suitcase which, when asked what it contained that he had brought it to dinner with him, replied "A tombstone."  How I hoped my other dinner companions hadn't drawn too far ahead of us - I'd only hung back because the poor chap had this unwieldy burden) -  I bought this lovely coat.

Since then I have worn it every winter, despite being greeted by a German friend on its first outing  with, "Oh look!  The country gentlewoman has come up to town in her best coat."  But then, she comes from Stuttgart and is just jealous she couldn't get away with a loden Mantel, as an Englishwoman can.

6 comments:

Nomad said...

HG: So long as it keeps you nice and warm (and dry?), then it matters not two hoots what people think (or say). When I lived in Russia many years ago my regular winter outer attire was an ankle length, rough duffel coat with face flap and large hood. No finer garment when it's 30* below and snowing like the clappers.

PS: I was only teasing with my request for a horse-drawn conveyance. Like you, I really do like my creature comforts (which explains why for the past 15 years or so I have actually owed a couple of the said automobiles!).

subrosa said...

Ah HG, I used to have one of those - maxi it was. In fact it's only a few years ago I did away with it because it just wouldn't wear out. Wonderful coat and the tailoring was second to none.

lilith said...

Of course she is jealous! Spitting!

hatfield girl said...

Nomad, I spent much of my time in Russia the other week trying to persuade them to let me go to the valenky factory (they make the best ones there). Honestly, you would think I was trying to gain access to a secret weapons site - perhaps that's what it is - after all, both Napoleon and Hitler failed for lack of proper winter equipment. No valenkys for non-Russians. With them they might invade successfully.

hatfield girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hatfield girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.