Tuesday 19 June 2012

If I Want to Speak to Europe Who Do I Call?

The restricted meeting between  Obama and Merkel, Monti, Hollande,  Barroso, and  Van Rompuy didn't happen.  The White House said this was because it was decided to extend the working dinner at which all the G20 heads of government and state were present (though not heads of international organisations) .

The German version is that everything that was going to be said between Obama and the European leaders had been said; it was the Chancellor of Germany who cancelled the meeting after talks between her and the US President (talks that lasted 45 minutes, held before the G20 dinner began) exhausted any exchange of views.

It begins to look as if Kissinger's Question has been answered.

4 comments:

Nomad said...

Interesting that the other 18 were considered to have nothing useful to contribute. Maybe they should stop paying their EU subs in that case.

hatfield girl said...

Maybe we should stop paying their airfares to Mexico, Nomad. What on earth are they all in Mexico at the seaside for? I thought there was a crisis in Europe. Too many G this's and G that's and summits and exchanges and 'working' dinners. Grrrrr.

Nomad said...

Quite so. I don't think Mexico is a member of this particular G, so it is not even as though it is their alphabetical turn at the trough. Still, not their money is it, so who cares....


.. and don't forget Barrosso is not taking any lessons on democracy from them either. Something is not quite right here, but I am blowed if I can put my finger on just what it is.

dearieme said...

Kissinger's question was stupid and arrogant. If I want to call Latin America, who do I call? If I want to call Asia, who do I call?