Tuesday 7 August 2007

Lidl for Onions

The kitchen garden is now overtaking life, diet, inner peace; cornucopias of vegetables and salads haunt my sleep - cookery books litter the house.

Help arrived yesterday as a family of badgers and an unknown number of porcupines tackled the green beans and the bottling tomatoes. If they eat all night and I cook all day it may be possible to keep Nature's largesse welcome.

In the shops green beans are 7 euros a kilo, tomatoes slightly cheaper - but I'm feeding the badgers - because they're worth it.

The Sovrintendenza alle Belle Arti has come through with agreement to allow some fencing close to the buildings. So next year there will have to be an arrangement for limited access to the fruits of summer for the animals.

Recipes for:bell peppers, courgettes, aubergines, green beans, giant tomatoes, teeny tomatoes like grapes, cucumbers, and lettuce (frilly, dark, light, plain..) are most welcome. The onions are not doing well.

7 comments:

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

HG,

Courgettes - fried with chopped garlic for a few minutes, then turned out and baked for a few minutes with natural breadcrumbs on top, and thin slices of parmesan around the outside, so they all crisp up.

Been known to kill for these...

hatfield girl said...

I've done them S, salted them first as these are bitter otherwise, and poured away the liquid.
I do love food cooked in the oven - it's somehow more caring than a quick once-over on top of the stove.
I fried them in olive oil (quite a lot of that about) and added a tiny bit of hot pepper.
Fried in butter with black pepper would be less mediterranean and more French, probably.

lilith said...

No, butter makes them sickly..olive oil!

hatfield girl said...

Oh good, L; got that right by sheer good luck! They were very fine. only a couple of dozen to go before the next avalanche arrrives. My entire diet has gone green.

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

HG,

I really know bugger all about cooking, but Mrs S got this from her Sister in the US.

As I'm long overdue a sympathy vote just now, (well, it was only last Thursday I was mauled to bits by the NHS - bless), I like stuff I can eat with southpaw safely on table and a fork in other paw.

Mrs S has requested tonight that I maintain the bandagement throughout the convalescence. She's had enough of open wounds...

Certainly right!

You seem to know your stuff Ms Hatf - any ideas on hot cucumbers?

Anonymous said...

I have 11 cabbages -any ideas? Also, spring onions,radishes,lettuces cucumbers, runner beans, french beans etc etc. |Too many of everything...

hatfield girl said...

M, next year I've booked fields of the best kind of potatoes - the white, crumbly inside kind that soak up butter and all that can be beaten into it. I never liked green at all. It's too much all at once and then suddenly too much to buy when it runs out. Economists - can't get anything right.

Scroblene, on hot cucumbers all I am getting is funny looks. For the wounded fist, had you thought of a velvet glove?