Wednesday 10 June 2009

No Vision

The recession is not receding fast enough or far enough. Angels want to buy some paintings - literally paintings, not art works - and they are still so far out of reach. Some would like to buy a house, and the recession isn't doing its stuff in that market either.

The most unbearable thing about Brown is - after his own self - that he will keep trying to prevent the deflation of the bubbles. Nothing good is coming of the recession at all because of this. Instead of a really good slump, when we all get at some of the goodies, this installation of a prolonged grey misery of under consumption and hopelessness for life chances is a typical failure of the imagination.

2 comments:

dearieme said...

Long ago, I longed to buy a painting - it was a Raeburn portrait of Jeffrey, the Edinburgh Review chap. To buy it I would have had to sell my car, and I funked it. If only.

Nick Drew said...

same with me, twice, but they were Atkinson Grimshaw's

first time I'd have needed to sell the car

second time it would have been the house ...