Sunday 18 May 2008

Early this morning

Czech is an unfamiliar language but the 6.30 am announcement echoing through the rooms was unmistakeable. Then it was repeated in English 'The building is insecure; I repeat the building is insecure. Leave at once. Do not.....'

What happens next is inevitable: first I cannot believe it so sit up considering waiting a bit in case it goes away; then I can't remember the code for the safe; then the flurry of slamming doors becomes complete silence. Off like a hare once everyone else is too, we're all doing the stairs - should I overtake or is that rude? Do I care? Outside sheepish staff explain that steam from the kitchen has upset the building and over-riding its panic takes procedures. We shiver back indoors from the rainy morning and take our revenge on the assembled cereals, order poached eggs (that always takes the chef badly) and eat all the croissants before those who returned to their rooms to tidy up get downstairs again.

What shall I do now? it's still only half past seven and I've breakfasted for a week.

7 comments:

Sackerson said...

Apparently bees gorge themselves on their honey if smoke enters the hive, so that they can save as much as possible of their accumulated wealth. It's what makes them sleepy and placid when beekeepers use their smoke-puffers.

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Aw Hats - sorry this happened...

Hope the other members of the hotel 'visiteur' were all where they should be...

I think a day long breakfast sounds a great Idea!

hatfield girl said...

Scroblene, I ate a bowl of fresh grapefruit and chopped oranges, a dish of creamy white yoghurt, crispy bacon with lots of little sausages with herbs and grilled tomatoes, two poached to perfection eggs dressed in rocket and chives, toast with blueberry jam, a croissant and two pots of green tea. Oh, and some dried apricots with various scrumptious nuts and grain things.

That'll teach them to haul everyone out of bed before 7 on a Sunday morning, although I was quite restrained. Others were downing (as well) french toast with maple syrup, hash browns, grilled mushrooms, scary things under a silver cover I didn't care to look at, and correcting their coffee against shock with most of the better bottles from the bar.

hatfield girl said...

There's some allegorical truth or comparison with current financial behavior to be found or made in bee conduct, S, but after today's early start I'm not getting there.
Still, I did get to the cubist museum , the House of the Black Madonna, and now have plans to throw away all the furniture and start again.

I was given lunch in the lovely Cafe there, where once all Prague's intellectual circle met; good thing it offers brunch-like dishes. I just kept going - onwards through smoked salmon, marinated duck breasts on beds of crispy salads (though swapping the green tea for the white and dry and cold.)

Angels will return tomorrow to denouncing the evils of New Labour - I joined those who actually shout at the television, watching Ed Miliband this morning after breakfast.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you seem to have enjoyed your "Prague Spring" moment!

Next time remember to pack the mini travel Scrabble..

Sackerson said...

You're making me hungry!

lilith said...

I am now starving too, Sackerson :-)